The Boulder Book Club for Writers will be reading and discussing Less by Andrew Sean Greer for September.
Each meeting we will pick apart a recent novel from various genres with the goal of uncovering how the author has utilized their skills to great effect. Storytelling is an art, but it’s not a mystery. Every writer must address the following:
1. Structure, Timeline, Pacing, Suspense, Omission
2. Point of View, including Voice, Character, Place
3. Tense, Argot, Imagery, Metaphor, Symbols
4. Motivation: Making a story pop – generating a thrill
5. Why this story? And why now? Industry considerations beyond packaging and marketing
We ask that all attendees read the novel in advance of the meeting, and come bearing their discoveries of how the author has addressed each of the five points above.
The Boulder Book Club for Writers is open to the public and typically meets at 7pm on the first Wednesday of every month in the Upper North Room of Boulder Book Store. Unless otherwise noted, the author will not be present at the discussion.