Search for Books
ABA Mobile Menu
The Field Guide to Dumb Birds of North America (Bird Books, Books for Bird Lovers, Humor Books) (Paperback)
On Our Shelves now
National Bestseller: Featured on Midwest, Mountain Plains, New Atlantic, Northern, Pacific Northwest and Southern Regional Indie Bestseller Lists
Perfect book for the aviary and anti-aviary alike
A humorous look at 50 common North American dumb birds: For those who have a disdain for birds, or bird lovers with a sense of humor, this snarky, illustrated handbook is equal parts profane, funny, and—let's face it—true. Featuring 50 common North American birds, such as the White-Breasted Butt Nugget and the Goddamned Canada Goose (or White-Breasted Nuthatch and Canada Goose for the layperson), Matt Kracht identifies all the idiots in your backyard and details exactly why they suck with humorous, yet angry, ink drawings. With The Field Guide to Dumb Birds of North America, you won't need to wonder what all that racket is anymore!
- Each entry is accompanied by facts about a bird's (annoying) call, its (dumb) migratory pattern, its (downright tacky) markings, and more.
- The essential guide to all things wings with migratory maps, tips for birding, musings on the avian population, and the ethics of birdwatching.
- Matt Kracht is an amateur birder, writer, and illustrator who enjoys creating books that celebrate the humor inherent in life's absurdities. Based in Seattle, he enjoys gazing out the window at the beautiful waters of Puget Sound and making fun of birds.
A humorous look at 50 common North American birds for bird lovers and haters alike
- A perfect coffee table or bar top conversation-starting book
- Makes a great Mother's Day, Father's Day, birthday, or retirement gift
About the Author
Matt Kracht is a professional designer and art director based in Seattle who enjoys gazing out the window at the beautiful waters of Puget Sound and making fun of birds.
"Matt Kracht's hilarious, fully illustrated, obscenely satirical spoof, 'The Field Guide to Dumb Birds of North America.' The bizarrely-behaving 50 birds that Kracht describes are technically real - the White-Breasted Nuthatch, the Canada Goose, etc. - though the author can't resist giving them insulting nicknames (The White-Breasted Butt Nugget, for example) while pointing out their various annoying peculiarities."
Holiday Gift Pick "A delightfully juvenile fake field guide about birds with such names as White-Breasted Butt Nugget and the Goddamned Canada Goose (or White-Breasted Nuthatch and Canada Goose as they are commonly known.) This book exists solely to make us giggle."
"There are loads of books out there for bird lovers, but until now, nothing for those that love to hate birds. The Field Guide to Dumb Birds of North America fills the void, packed with snarky illustrations that chastise the flying animals in a funny, profane way. "