- Store Info
- Calendar of Events
- Readers Guild
- Book Lists
- Educator Services
- Local Authors Corner
Search for Books
The first time I saw my mother was the night she died. The second time was at a party in Santa Fe.
After a childhood spent in an institution and a series of foster homes, Avery James has trained herself not to wonder about the mother who gave her up. But her safe, predictable life changes one night when she stumbles upon the portrait of a woman who is the mirror image of herself.
Slowly but inevitably, Avery is compelled to discover all she can about her mother, Isabel. Avery is drawn into complex relationships with the people who knew her mother. As she weaves together the threads of her mother's artistic heritage and her grandmother's skills as a healer, Avery learns that while discovering Isabel provides a certain resolution in her life, it's discovering herself that brings lasting happiness.
About the Author
A former journalist, copywriter, computer instructor, travel agent, waitress, and baker, Judith Ryan Hendricks is the author of three previous novels, including the bestseller Bread Alone. She and her husband live in New Mexico.
Praise for Isabel's Daughter…
“ calls to mind Barbara Kingsolver in her affinity for wise women and the power of close female friendships.”
- Doris Kearns Goodwin -- "The Bully Pulpit"(1 day)
- Living Poets Society Poetry Bookclub Meeting -- "What Goes On"(3 days)
- Mary Rockwood Lane -- "Healing with the Arts"(3 days)
- Mirabai Starr -- "Saint Francis of Assisi", "Saint Teresa of Avila", and "The Showings of Julian of Norwich"(4 days)
- 25 Days of Grinch-mas Holiday Storytime, Featuring The Grinch!(10 days)